Bravo Zulu, military parlance for “well done”, is a boutique threat protection company founded as a private Nevada corporation in 2004. Utilizing over a century of aerospace, military, aviation, and oil and gas experience, we have spent 10 years of focused research, development, third party testing, and super-computer simulation, developing uniquely effective products to destroy blast threats. Some ask, is blast really a threat?
- Boston Marathon bombings
- Growing Threat Abroad and at home for years to come/li>
- $4 Billion Settlement on Deepwater Horizon Explosion/li>
- Explosion at Texas City Refinery/li>
- Iraq’s Biggest Oil Refinery Shut by Gun and Bomb Attack/li>
- Yemeni Oil Pipeline Bombed/li>
- The Perceived Car Bomb Threat in Mexico/li>
- Explosives Attack In China Leaves Dozens Dead, More Than 90 Injured/li>
BLAST: UNIQUE UNDERSTANDING GENERATES UNIQUE BENEFITS
- Mitigates the complexity of all three injury effects of blast Primary – “Eats” the Pressure Wave or Shock Wave Secondary– Fragmentation and shrapnel (and ballistic)
- Tertiary– Acceleration (of persons, organs or objects) Tested highly effective on all types of blasts ranging from 4psi at 150ms to 56,000psi at .17ms. Short Duration: .1-50 milliseconds, high pressures Examples: C4, TNT, 122mm rockets, Semtex Long Duration: 50-250ms, typically lower pressures Examples: Vapor clouds, very large blasts like OK City
- The closer the material is to the blast, the better it works at killing it: Maximum Effectiveness is achieved when in direct contact with the blast fireball
- Effectively defeats Ballistic/Frag threats in addition to blast
- Flexible applications, both permanent and temporary, due to panel design form factor and light weight
- Tested effective at any standoff including “intimate contact”
- Reduces blast induced load transfer, even when applied di-rectly to a surface or structure
- Fully customizable solutions based on Size, Weight, Cost, and Performance requirements
HOW COMPLEX IS IT?
Ballistics is well understood by many and because of the similarities to fragmentation, it is often lumped in with blast. Blast is not only more complex but far less under-stood in its basic nature. To put it in perspective, let’s look at the amount of computer power required to reliably calculate ballistics versus blast:
Every blast is different based on the type of explosive, the amount, the distance, temperature, pressure, humidity, open air vs. confined, geometry, and other factors. Most blasts actually evolve many times over their short but destructive life span. It is useful to know that there is no universal blast standard or benchmark. What really matters is what is “felt” by the person or object in question. Blast intensity decreases exponentially with distance. This includes not only the force or pressure, often measured in pounds per square inch, but also the duration, measured in milliseconds. It is also critical to know that duration matters just as much as (over)pressure. A short duration blast at 5psi may only cause ear damage while a long duration blast of the same pressure can be fatal. What one must do to defeat a long duration blast is different than what is required to defeat a short duration. Both are altogether different than what is required to defeat fragmentation and ballistic threats. To defeat all three inside of one product is what makes our technology truly revolutionary.
HOW DO WE DO IT?
Blast mitigation performance in unconfined areas is generally measured in terms of “scaled distance” by explosion engineers. This widely used concept allows comparison of virtually all blasts in terms of equivalence to a “TNT equiva-lent charge weight” (generally abbreviated “NEQ” or “NEW”), regardless of explosive composition and total weight. Explosion vents, blast walls, window damage, vehicle damage and injury thresholds can all be estimated—and test results can be used to predict these results—using the NEQ-to-volume ratio for the open space calculation.
Bravo Zulu has been able to simulate and predict results with far greater accuracy than the current practices. This has allowed Bravo Zulu to design products far more effective than anything else on the market.We literally eat explosions.